What do you get when you combine a high-resolution photograph, a bit of animation of a video and then put it in a snackable GIF file size format?
If your guess is a cinemagraph, then ka-boom! You got it right.
A cinemagraph is a series of images with subtle and repeating motions forming a loop. This makes it look like an animated video but, it’s actually a still image commonly published as a GIF file.
This medium was created by US fashion photographer Jamie Beckin in collaboration with motion graphics designer Kevin Burg in 2011. These two were looking for a fresh new way to showcase Jamie’s photographs in such a way that will preserve a glimpse of time when these shots were taken.
Since then, this technique of letting photos come alive continue to rapidly influence the visual marketing industry both online and offline. There’s no question how the fashion, travel, and lifestyle niche heads up by the big brands like Mercedez-Benz, Apple, Motorola, Coca-Cola amongst others are reaping the benefits of higher engagement, wider audience reach, boost branding thanks to the enticing power of cinemagraphs.
In this post, we’re going to showcase 19 hypnotic cinemagraph ideas to inspire you. Now, let’s get to it!
1. Kevin Burg and Jamie Beck
3. Stuart Weitzman
5. The New Yorker
6. BMS Carpet Cleaning
7. Coco Rocha
9. Dogfish Head Brewery
10. Chopard House Full of Secrets
11. Hills Bros
12. Whole Foods
13. VX Hotel Photography
14. Pfister Faucets
17. Inkaterra La Casona
18. Lincoln Cars
19. Nike via Ann Street Studio
Beautiful and seamless…
This type of visual is a sure-fire attention – grabber!
A cinemagraph is a sophisticated evolution of the humble gif. As you may observe from the classic samples above, this format is more classy and artistic in nature. It’s important to note that cinemagraphs aren’t just about subtlety. You also need to make it appear seamless such that audiences should not be able to point out where the loop begins or ends to make it truly mesmerizing.
How to create a cinemagraph with Gifzign
Here are the easy steps to create a cinemagraph in Gifzign:
1. Login to gifzign and upload your HD video. (0:00 to 0:20)
2. After successfully loading your video, go to the cinemagraph tab. (0:21 – 0:26)
3. Move the Start (yellow S) and End (red E) cursors to set which part of the video you wish to use for your project. (0:27 – 0:34)
4. You will need a still image for your cinemagraph. Simply set the blue cursor to select the part of the video that you wish to use. ( 0:35)
5. Capture the still image by clicking on the Eye icon at the left side of the editor. (0:47)
6. Using the masking tools, brush off the area you want to keep animated. (00:56 – 1:22)
7. Click on preview (eye icon at the top area of the editor) to see how awesome your cinemagraph looks like.
In less than a couple minutes, you can create a beautiful cinemagraph like this one below using Gifzign. 🙂
Pretty quick and simple, right?
We all know that a picture is worth a thousand words, so how much more if we add a pinch of beautiful animation to it?
Did you like this list? I hope you’re able to find some inspiration for your visual marketing out of this post.
Now is your time to share with us in the comments section! 🙂
To your success,
P.S. Feel free to check out Gifzign and start creating your own amazing gifs and cinemagraphs in a breeze!